01 Feb Heart Healthy Tips to Prevent Heart Disease
Read more from our rehab and therapy group, HTS, about heart disease prevention and ways you can improve your current condition.
Did you know that the heart is the hardest working muscle in your body? Your heart beats 115,000 times a day! And, it pumps nearly 2,000 gallons of blood throughout the body. The team at HTS, our therapy and rehab group, highlighted heart health and heart disease prevention tips in its February 2018 newsletter.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Even the smallest changes can help prevent the onset of heart disease, or improve your condition if you’re already diagnosed.
- The food you eat is one of the biggest factors for heart health. Limit foods high in sugar and fat, and try to eat more vegetables, nuts, fish, and chicken.
- Nutritionists recommend 7-9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day to maximize heart disease prevention.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is crucial to heart health. Losing just 10 pounds can lower your risk of heart disease by lowering your risk for high blood pressure & cholesterol.
- Staying active, even just 30 minutes a day, 4 to 5 days a week helps keep your heart strong.
If you currently suffer from a cardiac or cardiopulmonary condition, talk to your doctor about your treatment plan. Ask your doctor if Physical or Occupational therapy can help. Click here for the rest of HTS’ tips and a heart-healthy snack recipe!
To learn more about the rehabilitation and therapy services at Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, click here.